Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Post-Conference Thoughts

We traveled back from Kentucky on Saturday after the ASABE 2011 Annual International Meeting. I thought the meeting was great - the keynote address was quite moving, I found several of the technical sessions informative, I spent time talking to old acquaintances, and I met some interesting new people.

I heard about some exciting new work underway in the society in developing new calibration standards for hydrologic models. This is something I feel very strongly about, having witnessed many poorly calibrated models in the past, and I am excited that the individual in charge of this effort is interested in having me participate in the standards development. I hope this might lay the groundwork for future water quality calibration standards, which I previously explored in a publication with my former colleagues at Virginia Tech.

In addition, one person I spoke with mentioned that ASABE hires individuals to help with technical editing for non-native English speakers in the journals it publishes. Having a perhaps unhealthy love of editing, I think I will follow up with the publications division at ASABE and see if I can get involved!

After the conference, we spent a couple days touring around Louisville. We visited the Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs and the Louisville Slugger Factory & Museum and took a lunch cruise on the Ohio River. All of these were quite enjoyable, I recommend them if you're in the area!

No comments:

Post a Comment