Sunday, July 29, 2012

Labeling Supporting Layers in ArcPad

Googling didn't help me much on this topic so I thought it might be worth sharing...regarding labeling background layers for data exported from ArcMap to ArcPad using the ArcPad Data Manager extension ("Get Data for ArcPad" tool) for ArcGIS 10.

The scenario that prompted my discovery was this: I had an ArcMap document that contained the geodatabase feature classes that I needed to check out as well as several supporting layers - parcels, streets, streams, etc.  I wanted the streets to be labeled, but did not need to check them out for editing.  I labeled the streets within the ArcMap file.

Initially I tried exporting the streets as a background shapefile.  However, the labels did not transfer when I opened the exported map file in ArcPad.  After a bit of experimenting I discovered that exporting the streets as a background AXF file kept the labels intact. I suppose in retrospect this does make sense, as the AXF files are supposed to be these wonderful all-encompassing databases.

So there you go, if you want to label your background layers in an export for ArcPad, make sure to export them to an AXF file!

No comments:

Post a Comment